Apakov tram depot

Zamoskvoretskoye tram depot (this was the initial name) was constructed by 1910. It was the most efficient of the existed tram depots of Moscow, and all possible improvements of that time were used. Today the depot is named after Pyotr Apakov, who was a driver at this depot before the Great October revolution of 1917 and took an active part in establishing of the Soviet power in Moscow. It must be said that while many streets and squares of Moscow were renamed when the Soviets went by in 1991, the tram and trolleybus depots were not. Maybe this was a wise decision; why should we forget our own history with every new turn of the wheel of time?...

An office building and controlling point of the Apakov depot, viewed from Shabolovka Street.

September 9, 2000.

One of the depot yards. The gates are open, and one can see tramcars inside.

September 9, 2000.

Another view from the gates. To the left, a stripped out body of a scrapped Tatra T3 tramcar #1470 can be seen, while inside the storage facility more trams loom, one of them bearing a dark read and yellow livery, so rare today in Moscow.

© Alexander Zabreyko
August 24, 2002.

The depot operates among others the most known of the Moscow tram routes - A. Here is one car from this route, waiting in the depot yard.

September 9, 2000.

Another gate of the depot, and the tramcar performing some shunting operation. This vehicle (model 71-621K, or simply KTM-21) was made in a single number, and serial production does not seem real because this is only a slight modification of the basic 71-619K series.

April 7, 2000.

Beside the depot, a large tram terminus is located. It was moved hither in 1984 from Oktyabrskaya Square where it had been before. the square itself was reconstructed, and new huge buildings were raised there.

December 2000.

[ Main page ]

© 2000-2002, Alexander Elagin, Alexander Zabreyko