From Ploshchad Borby to Minaevskiy Pereulok

This square (the word Ploshchad just means Square) has played a great role in the history of Moscow tram. The widespread construction of tramlines was begun from here since August 3, 1903. The previously constructed lines (opened in 1899) were considered experimental, and after years of successful operation the city administration decided to construct a vast network of electric tramlines and replace all horse-drawn trams with electric ones. The process took less than ten years to complete (including long negotiations with Belgian society which owned a number of horse-drawn and steam lines), and by 1912 all lines had been converted to electric tram service, excluding a suburban steam line to Petrovskaya Agricultural Academy.

Ploshchad Borby got this name in honour of struggle for better life after the Great October Revolution of 1917; previously it was called Alexandrovskaya. There are three streets with tramlines that join here.

July 2000.

Here begins Obraztsova Street. Obraztsov was a famous Russian railway engineer, and he lived in this street.

The yellow building in the corner was reconstructed some time ago, and the next - pale green - replaced an old two-storey house in 1998.

July 2000.

A junction of Obraztsova and Trifonovskaya streets. The line along Trifonovskaya does not operate now.

July 2000.

Minaevskiy Pereulok. This partly green side street has buildings of various sorts: there are old houses built in XIX century, in 1950's and in 1980's.

This street joins with Tikhvinskaya Street which also has a tramline.

July 2000.

[ Home | Guestbook ]

© 2000-2003, Alexander Elagin